Thursday, August 25, 2011

Is It Too Hot For Soup?

Sure is!  But I did it anyway.  I was really in the mood for some Italian Wedding Soup last weekend but didn't think guests would appreciate it, being so hot outside.  I made some large shells (pasta) filled with ricotta and several cheeses in a marinara sauce, then served it with meatballs.  I used the meatball recipe from the Italian Wedding Soup recipe for that, then made some tiny meatballs that I saved for having the soup later on in the week (I baked them along with the big meatballs instead of waiting to cook them in the broth, as the recipe states), saving about an hour on dinner when I made the soup.

This is the same soup served at our 2009 Christmas Eve dinner, along with that yummy black bean soup.

Italian Wedding Soup
Giada DeLaurentis

To make the meatballs:

1 small onion, grated  (I finely dice the onion because I hate grating it!)
1/3 cup chopped fresh italian (flat leaf) parsley
1 large egg
1 tsp. minced garlic
1 tsp. salt
1 slice fresh white bread, crust trimmed, bread torn into small pieces (I use about a 1/2 c dry bread crumbs)
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
8 oz. ground pork
8 oz. ground beef
Freshly ground black pepper

Stir first 6 ingredients in a large bowl to blend.  (Lightly) stir in cheese, pork and beef.  Using 1-1/2 teaspoons for each, shape the meat mixture into 1-inch meatballs and place on a baking sheet.

To make the soup:

12 cups low sodium chicken broth
1 pound curly endive or escarole, coarsely chopped
2 large eggs
2 T freshly grated parmesan, plus extra for garnish
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

***These are the original ingredients.  I do not use the escarole or endive, I use fresh spinach.  But I don't add it to the soup to cook (because I don't like cooked spinach!). See below.  I also add a cup of acini de pepe or orzo pasta.***

Bring broth to a boil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add the meatballs and endive and simmer until the meatballs are cooked through and the endive is tender, about 8 minutes.  Whisk the eggs and cheese together in a medium bowl to blend.  Stir the soup in a circular motion, gradually drizzling the egg mixture into the moving broth, stirring gently with a fork to form thin strands of egg, about 1 minute.  Season with salt and pepper.

Ladle soup into bowls and serve.  Finish soup with parmesan cheese, if desired.


I like to ladle the soup over the fresh spinach - I think it makes a nice presentation that way.  As you can see, I added the orzo this time, as well as some chopped carrots.  It was serve with a panzanella salad (bread salad), in which I cubed some 9-grain bread, lightly tossing with olive oil then baked at 400*F for about 10 minutes, turning once. I let that cool, then combined quartered cherry tomatoes, diced fresh zucchini and some cubed fresh mozarella.  I tossed it all in some oil and vinegar, seasoned with salt, pepper and a little oregano.  And there you have it, a nice weeknight meal for Don and I. It was pretty yummy!


1 comment:

  1. Will you be my guru? This looks FAB!

    How about some really good diabetic recipes? You're so good at knowing about GI diets and counts and all. And I'm NOT. (I've never even visited a dietician about it all.)

    ReplyDelete