Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Now For Some Goodies!

Pound Cake With Chocolate Ganache Filling and Toasted Marshmallow Frosting
So, I have amazing administrators at work. One of them had a birthday last Friday. Thursday night I was looking around at (where else - my favorite place) SteinMart where I saw this cute, colorful mini cake plate for $14.99.  I had a coupon to apply to it so I got it for around $12.00.  My mind went into full baking gear, trying to figure out what to put on this cake plate to give to my administrator the next day.

I have 2 - 4-inch springform pans, so I made 2 layers of pound cake with chocolate ganache filling (I also frosted the whole cake with it before the final frosting) and marshmallow frosting.  After it was all put together, I got out the little kitchen torch to toast the frosting.  A little fresh strawberry topped it off nicely.  After that, I took different colored curling ribbon and cut into about 10-inch pieces.  I lightly curled them then placed them somewhat evenly around the cake, securing with a spot of ganache.

This is my favorite pound cake recipe - very simple and VERY yummy!!!  The order of the ingredients is a little different than usual, but I follow it - I don't know if it would make a difference??? ( Because I used the 4-inch cake pan this time, I made cupcakes, pulled out the centers, filled them with the ganache then topped them with a little ganache and the marshmallow frosting.  The cupcakes were torched til light brown/toasted.)


Grandmother Paul's Sour Cream Pound Cake
From Paula Dean

1/2 lb. (2 sticks) butter, softened                    
3 cups granulated sugar                                 
1 cup sour cream                                          
   (I often add a couple of drops of coconut oil)
1/2 tsp. baking powder  
3 cups all purpose flour 
1 tsp. salt (it could probably use 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 tsp)
6 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla                                                  

                             

Preheat oven to 325*F. 
Spray 2 loaf pans or a 10-inch tube pan.  Set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar until fluffy (4 or 5 minutes). Add sour cream and mix until incorporated.  Sift flour, baking powder and salt together (or use a whisk to mix and lighten).  Add to the creamed mixture alternating with eggs, beating each egg 1 at a time.  Add the vanilla.  Pour mixture evenly into 10-inch tube pan or divide evenly between 2 loaf pans.

Bake for 1 hour 20 minutes for tube pan.  Watch loaf pans after 1 hour.


Semisweet Chocolate Ganache
From the Book "Death By Chocolate" by Marcel Desaulniers
1 cup heavy whipping cream
2 T. unsalted butter
2 T. granulated sugar
12 oz. semisweet chocolate broken into small pieces
       (Yes, you can use chocolate chips but the quality won't be optimum)

Heat the cream, butter and sugar in a saucepan over medium-high heat (I just nuke it until it's hot).  Stir to dissolve sugar then bring to a boil.  Place chocolate in a bowl.  Pour hot cream mixture over the chocolate and allow to stand for 5 minutes (put your timer on).  Stir until smooth.  Allow to cool to room temperature.  (If you refrigerate it, you can make truffles but scooping and rolling about a tablespoon, then rolling into cocoa, chopped nuts or whatever else you can think to use.)



Marshmallow Frosting
MarthaStewart.com - Recipe From Jennifer Shea of Trophy Cupcakes
8 large egg whites (room temperature)
2 cups sugar
1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
2 tsp. vanilla extract
    (Again, I usually add a couple of drops of coconut oil)

Place egg whites, sugar and cream of tartar in a heatproof mixing bowl.  Set over a saucepan with simmering water.  Whisk constantly until sugar is dissolved and whites are warm to the touch, 3 to 4 minutes.

Transfer bowl to electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment and beat, starting on low speed, gradually increasing to high until stiff, glossy peaks form - 5 to 7 minutes.  Add vanilla and mix until combined.  Use immediately.



What Else Can You Do With These Recipes?

Let Your Imagination Run Wild!

Pound Cake is good for Strawberry Shortcake, a Fruit Trifle, Grilled with Pineapple 

The Marshmallow Frosting Recipe can be used on any Cake or Cupcakes.

The Ganache can be used on Cake or Cupcake, for Truffles or Fillings.

What are some of your ideas?



No comments:

Post a Comment